In preparation for another new geeky recipe that is coming this week, I decided to jump on the coconut train and learn how to make some homemade coconut whipped cream without any sugar. Thanks to inspiration from Oh She Glows, it was so simple and easy that I’m definitely going to keep it in my back pocket for all-sorts of yummy desserts!
1. Make sure you have a full can of coconut milk, it can be any brand (I used Thai Kitchen). But, you will want to make sure it is a full-fat can because it will help to make your coconut cream whip better and thicker. Place your can in the fridge overnight.
2. After 12-24 hours, remove the chilled can of coconut milk from fridge and FLIP it upside down. Once you flip it upside down, the liquid part of the coconut milk that hasn’t hardened will be at the top of the can and it will make it easier for you to remove.
3. Open up the can. If there is any liquid at the top pour it in a separate container for use in a smoothie or Hot ‘Cocoa’nut Milk.
5. I always save mine for use in other recipes, but make sure to label and date it so you use before you stick it back in the fridge so you don’t use bad coconut milk in another recipe.
Optional: Add about 10 mL of pure organic maple syrup for sweetness. I’m a sucker for anything sweet and since I have an allergy to cane sugar, I find maple syrup to be a great alternative.
6. Scoop the coconut cream into your large bowl and mix with a hand mixer and whip the cream with a hand mixer and whip the cream until fluffy. And there you go, a super easy, allergy-friendly and creamy recipe that would be great for any recipe that calls for whipped cream.