In college, I lived, breathed, ate, acted Lord of the Rings with my roommates. We had a Legolas and Hobbit standup and even dressed-up for a contest when Return of the King came out on DVD (I won 3rd place with my Arwen outfit). I was so happy to try this recipe out from Being Geek Chic with a couple of key adjustments – it’s gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free.
- 2 cups GF all-purpose mix
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter (I chose a dairy-free, soy-free alternative)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Raw Agave Syrup + 2 tablespoons Raw Agave Syrup, divided
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup Coconut Creamer divided
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a pan with vegetable oil spray throughly. Make sure to get all sides with the oil so your batch of Lembas bread will pop right out.
3. Whisk together 2 cups of the gluten-free mix, 2 tablespoons of raw agave syrup, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of Orange Zest and one teaspoon of Lemon Zest. Cut all of the butter into the gluten-free all-purpose mix so that it resembles something like breadcrumbs (which is ironic, because these are gluten-free).
6. Press dough onto prepared pan and smooth dough out until it is about an inch thick or less.
7. Whisk together remaining egg and 1/4 cup of coconut creamer and brush dough with egg wash.
8. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of raw agave syrup and any remaining citrus or lemon zest over the dough.
9. Run a knife through the dough to cut into square or triangles of your choice.
10. Bake for 16 minutes at 400 degrees and cool completely before serving.
Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below!