This year has gone by like The Flash, and especially the last few months since my birthday and I have not had a TARDIS like the Doctor to achieve my goals or even write blog posts. In fact, my last post was on September 21st a little over two months ago.
The quarter is finally winding down and I had a few minutes this evening to reflect on the year and my 30 Before 30 list came to mind. As I perused my list, I realized that some of my goals have already changed and I wanted to adjust my list and update it.
Here is the new and flashy list with updates, cross-offs and all the changes I’ve decided to make before the new year arrives in a little over a month, and in fact as I was going through my list I realized that one of my goals (#26) had already been achieved.
1. Study abroad
- Destination: London, England
2. Reach my Goal Weight of 145
- At 155 pounds, only ten away from my goal weight.
3. Become a vegan
- After working with my doctors, naturopaths, friends, family and myself (I’m not crazy, I promise!), I realized that being a vegan was just not in the cards for me. As of this time, I’m calling myself a flexitarian. This means that I am flexible with my food preferences, but for the most part I will be sticking to a pescetarian/vegetarian diet and listen to my body as needed. Which brings me to my new goal….
3. Spend less time online
- This is an incredibly vague goal with no measurable statistics, but it is something I am aiming to do so that I can spend more quality time with the people I love. This goal may change at one point, but as of right now, this is what I am working on.
4. Go skydiving
Ever since my acrophobic mother went skydiving when I was around five years old I’ve wanted to do it. It is actually what I told Marcus I wanted to do for my birthday this next year. *crossing fingers*
5. Go skiing
This may not actually happen, but after snowboarding a few years ago with my husband (see below) I’ve wanted to try the other snowy alternative out to see if I’m any better at it.
6. Read 30 books (6 out of 30)
- Rachel Rising: The Shadow of Death (November 2014)
- From Perverts to Fab Five: The Media’s Changing Depiction of Gay Men and Lesbians (September 2014)
- Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale (September 2014)
- Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick (September 2014)
- Habibi (September 2014)
- Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened (September 2014)
While they aren’t necessarily the ones from my Bibliophile’s Dirty Thirty list, I’m still going to count them towards my goal, especially since I’ve recently gotten into graphic novels and comic books.
7. Get a 4.0 during one quarter of my undergrad before my 30th birthday
- Winter 2014: 3.53
- Spring 2014: 1.92
- Fall 2014: TBD
- Winter 2015: TBD
- Spring 2015: TBD
- Summer 2015: TBD
8. Pay off my personal credit cards and debt
Still working on this, but I have been able to find little jobs and ways of making money that I hope will continue so that I can pay off the debt I have inccured. Not as a way of “bragging”, but as a way of keeping myself accountable, I’m going to keep track of it while writing my blog.
My debt started at: $1500
Current debt is at: $1400
9. Watch 100 must-see movies suggested by friends and family (8 out of 100)
- Back to the Future Trilogy (August 2014)
- Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II (September 2014)
- O, Brother Where Art Thou (September 2014)
- Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure (November 2014)
- Alien (August 2014)
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (August 2014)
- Paul (August 2014)
- Fight Club (November 2014)
10. Finish one cross-stitch project
11. Watch a meteor shower
12. Go to a concert with the husband
13. Organize and set-up office
14. Start a garden in a community plot
15. Develop three new hobbies
16. Get two more tattoos + two more piercings (1 out of 4)
- August 2014 – Portal Tattoo
17. Go to Emerald City Comic Con (tickets purchased) and cosplay
18. Dye my hair bright red or orange
19. Watch all of the Classic Doctor Who episodes
20. Learn how to make thirty new Becky-friendly recipes
21. Start to volunteer at non-profit of choice
22. Start and try to complete three new video games (1 of 3)
- Minecraft (November 2014)
23. Try thirty new kinds of wine
24. Join one student organization
25. Publish the equivalent of a blog post at least once a week
Because of school, this goal has fallen by the wayside, but as of this post I am up to 6 out of 52 posts, with more to come within the next few weeks.
26. Learn five new tabletop games - Finished November 2014
- Ticket to Ride (October 2014)
- Smallworld (November 2014)
- Pandemic (November 2014)
- 7 Wonders (September 2014)
- Carcassonne (October 2014)
27. Run a 5K
28. Go on a 10-mile hike
29. Visit my family in Utah
- La Conner, Washington (September 2014)
- Snohomish, Washington (September 2014)