Another year has passed us quite quickly and all of a sudden we find ourselves in 2015, or has been buzzed about, the year that Marty McFly went to the future. Speaking of the Back to the Future series, it was last year (with my 30 by 30 goal list) that I finally saw all three of the films. Great Scott! I can’t believe it took me that long.
As mentioned on this Jezebel article, the interwebs have been abuzz how 2015 has let us done and not brought us self-tying laces or a hovercraft, but as one tweeter said,
I’m happy that 2015 is here and not at all disappointed that we don’t have a hovercraft yet. I mean, look at what we do have.
Those are just a few of the amazing technologies that we already have, and you can bet that 2015 is going to bring even more (if the Futurists are right).
Knowing that, I wanted to start out this perfect rounded (it’s a multiple of five, c’mon, you thought the same thing) year by checking in on my goals from last year and setting similar, yet reachable ones for this year. Looking at my goal post from 2014, I didn’t give myself any specific ones other than achieving ones that I set for myself as they came up. Sticking with that train of thought, I haven’t made any direct ones for the 2015 year, but will continue to work on my 30 by 30 list — I only have about eight months left!
Even though I just caught up on many of these, I’ve done a bit of work over the holidays and have gotten even closer. And I don’t want to seem like I am bragging, but in years past (link), I haven’t completed my goals and that has always been something I’ve regretted. Part of my ‘wish/resolution’ to the universe (aka my inner self) this year was to set goals and finish them instead of getting close and walking away because I thought it was too hard. So without further ado and babbling from me, here is my updated 30 by 30 list, with a couple new goals thrown in.
1. Study abroad
- Destination: London, England – Still working on getting this all set-up. It will be exciting if I can get it done. If you would like to help me out in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, you can check out my Fund My Travel page here.
2. Reach my Goal Weight of 145
- At 155 pounds, only
ten (six) away from my goal weight. This is so exciting for me as I’ve been struggling with getting fit and back to my goal weight for almost ten years. I’ve done so well that as soon as I get to the original goal weight (145), I’m going to try for what the doctors said I could be healthy at (130). No matter what, with the healthy eating and exercising, I feel much better about myself.
Spend less time online
- While this was an admirable goal, my current career path and work that I do isn’t going to lend me to spending much less time online, but I’ve decided to be wiser about how I spend my time online which has already started to change. I’m leaving this goal open to anything that comes up this year.
4. Go skydiving
Ever since my acrophobic mother went skydiving when I was around five years old I’ve wanted to do it. It is actually what I told my husband that I wanted to do for my birthday this next year.
*UPDATE* Still would love for this to happen, going to ask for it as a birthday present!
5. Go skiing
This may not actually happen, but after snowboarding a few years ago with my husband (see below) I’ve wanted to try the other snowy alternative out to see if I’m any better at it.
6. Read 30 books (11 out of 30) – While the books on my 30 by 30 reading list are ones that I’ve been meaning to read, I’m also including any books, school or pleasure related on this list. Be sure to follow me on Goodreads to track my progress as well as my new reading goal of 24 books in 2015.
- Rachel Rising: The Shadow of Death (November 2014)
- From Perverts to Fab Five: The Media’s Changing Depiction of Gay Men and Lesbians (September 2014)
- Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale (September 2014)
- Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick (September 2014)
- Habibi (September 2014)
- Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened (September 2014)
- Blankets (December 2014)
- The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (December 2014)
- The Night Circus (December 2014)
- Will O’ the Wisp (December 2014)
- Fairest, Vol. 1: Wide Awake (December 2014)
7. Get a 4.0 during one quarter of my undergrad before my 30th birthday
- Winter 2014: 3.53
- Spring 2014: 1.92
- Fall 2014: 3.35 (Coming in strong with an A, A-, B- and Pass)
- Winter 2015: TBD
- Spring 2015: TBD
- Summer 2015: TBD
8. Pay off my personal credit cards and debt
Still working on this, but I have been able to find little jobs and ways of making money that I hope will continue so that I can pay off the debt I have incurred Not as a way of “bragging”, but as a way of keeping myself accountable, I’m going to keep track of it while writing my blog.
My debt started at: $1500
Current debt is at: $1000
*Update* Getting down to $1000 is exciting as my husband decided some debt I incurred to us as a couple was forgiven and that I only need to pay off my personal credit card.
9. Watch 100 must-see movies suggested by friends and family (8 out of 100)
- Back to the Future Trilogy (August 2014)
- Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II (September 2014)
- O, Brother Where Art Thou (September 2014)
- Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure (November 2014)
- Alien (August 2014)
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (August 2014)
- Paul (August 2014)
- Fight Club (November 2014)
*Update* I’ve been a bad cinephile and not watched any other movies on my list. In fact, I’ve been busy catching up on the Arrow, the Flash and Game of Thrones. But, I really do want to make this list, so I’m working on getting this list whittled down ASAP.
10. Finish one cross-stitch project (December 2014)
As 2014 came to a close, I eeked in on finishing one of my 30 by 30 goals of finishing one cross-stitch project.
To be honest, I didn’t think I would like cross stitch, but I found out that it is a perfect craft for me to do when I need something to do with my hands. I’ve already created that one and started on another.
11. Watch a meteor shower
*Update* This particular goal may be a little tricky, but I’m going to be following this calendar from the American Meteor Society to try and catch one before my birthday.
12. Go to a concert with the husband
*Update* So far, haven’t gone to a concert with him yet, but my top picks for our outing will be Brandi Carlile, First Aid Kit or Crosswave (a new rock band out of Seattle).
13. Organize and set-up office
*Update* I am so close to making this a reality. Our second bedroom has been a bit of a dumping ground for random odds and ends but I realized I need a place to study and get my work done that isn’t in front of the TV or on the couch. I’m hoping by March it will actually start to resemble and office.
14. Start a garden in a community plot
three (two) new hobbies
*Update* As mentioned in goal #10, I’ve started to cross stitch, and it has become a bit addicting, which means it is going to be a new hobby of mine.
Cross Stitch (January 2015)
two (one) more tattoo + two more piercings (1 out of 4)
Portal Tattoo (August 2014)
- Idea in Progress (January 2015)
- Second Ear Lobe Piercing
- Belly Button
17. Go to Emerald City Comic Con (tickets purchased) and cosplay
18. Dye my hair bright red or orange
19. Watch all of the Classic Doctor Who episodes
20. Learn how to make
thirty (29) new Becky-friendly recipes – I’ve actually started a Pinterest board that you can check out here that will help me keep track of new recipes I want to try.
- Italian Chicken Potato and Green Bean Bake (December 7 2014)
21. Start to volunteer at non-profit of choice
22. Start and try to complete three new video games (2 of 3)
- Minecraft (November 2014)
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (December 2014)
thirty (26) new kinds of wine
Using the fun little wine app Vivino, I’ve been tracking most of the wine I’ve been purchasing in bottle form in the past few months and I’m already up to four different kinds. Check out what type of wines I like and have been drinking on my Vivino profile here.
- Quady – North Rosé – Red (September 2014)
- Sockeye – Sweet Pea Apple – White (November 2014)
- Freixenet – Cordon Negro Extra Dry – Sparkling (December 28 2014)
- Segura Viudas – Gran Cuvee Reserva – Sparkling (December 31 2014)
Join one student organization (December 2014)
*Update* As part of my career path, I’ve joined the Western Washington University chapter of the PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America) and plan to join the Quidditch team at the university as well in the coming quarter.
25. Publish the equivalent of a blog post
at least once a week (whenever I can)
Because of school, this goal has fallen by the wayside, but as of this post I am up to 6 out of 52 posts, with more to come within the next few weeks.
*Update* While I would love to be consistent in blogging, school made it almost impossible for me to make the time. I’m hoping this quarter I can be a little more blog worthy, but I am not going to put any pressure on myself to write every week. That being said, I am up to (as of this blog post), you can check them out below
- 30 Before 30
- 100 Must-See Movies
- Keep Portland Weird!
- The Bibliophile’s Dirty Thirty
- Thirty Evergreen Cities
- Achievement: Unlocked?
- 2015? Check. Hoverboards? Nope. Hype? Maybe.
That being said, if you do count the articles and blog posts that I wrote while I was a student reporter for the Western Front, that would boost my total to 22. You can check them out below.
- Restaurant Reviews: Mount Bakery
- Restaurant Reviews: Asian 1
- Restaurant Reviews: Fiamma Burger
- Restaurant Reviews: Zen Sushi
- Restaurant Reviews: Brandywine Kitchen
- Top Shelf is not your average dispensary
- Northwest pot laws lack fire
- WWU professor travels to Scotland to witness history
- Bellingham Comic-Con brings together the best of Bellingham’s nerd culture
- A nerd’s night out
- Heroes Resource Festival showcases subcultures
- Retroid night gives nerds a chance to strut their stuff
- Fantasy to reality: Western on the quidditch field
- Western Quidditch places third in tournament
- Pinball to come to State Street winter 2015
26. Learn five new tabletop games - Finished November 2014
- Ticket to Ride (October 2014)
- Smallworld (November 2014)
- Pandemic (November 2014)
- 7 Wonders (September 2014)
- Carcassonne (October 2014)
27. Run a 5K
28. Go on a 10-mile hike
29. Visit my family in Utah
30. Go to 30 new places in Washington State I have never been to before (2 of 30)
- La Conner, Washington (September 2014)
- Snohomish, Washington (September 2014)
So here is to a new year, a new day and a new focus. I’m going to make 2015 one to remember.